Call for Papers
2024 Annual Conference
April 3-6, 2024, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Research Practices in Border Studies.
Approaches, epistemologies, and methodologies for understanding bordering processes.
Call for Papers
JANUARY 22, 2023
Border studies have come a long way in comprehending processes related to borders in their material and immaterial, visible and invisible forms. Multidisciplinary research has been investigating places, people, identity, politics, devices, technologies, discourses, practices, representations, cultures, imaginaries, and performances of borders through a variety of tools and lenses. The richness of the debate is indeed unquestionable, as is the complexity and sophistication of border analysis and theoretical efforts. It is precisely this diversity and variety of approaches that inspired the theme of the 2024 Annual Conference: we want to address the practices we adopt when studying borders and promote a discussion on the different methodologies that can help us understand borders and re/de/bordering processes.
More traditional approaches to the study of borders are now paralleled by feminist, decolonial, critical, and creative methodologies. Quantitative and qualitative analysis are often combined; narratives and discourses have become key aspects of border studies, while border culture and representations help to understand the geopolitics of bordering. The field does not imply a specific methodological framework, and the richness of case study research is evident. The goal of the conference is not to propose a homogenization of methodologies nor to call for theoretical generalization. Rather, we believe that the encounter of various, and sometimes radically different, approaches can be productive and allow for a valorization of border research.
We invite border scholars from a variety of disciplines to present their work, reflecting specifically on the approaches, epistemologies, positionalities, and methods they adopt. As always, the Association for Borderlands Studies Annual Conference extends its invitation beyond the conference theme to bring together a community of researchers encompassing a wide range of topics and ways of seeing. Proposals from across the diverse field of border studies are welcome, and we particularly encourage complete panel and roundtable sessions that reflect this diversity. Individual papers and book presentations are also most welcome.
Best Paper Awards
Every year, the Association for Borderlands Studies offers three awards under the following categories for those presenting papers at the conference:
1) Best Undergraduate Student Paper
2) Best Graduate Student Paper
3) Best Paper
Submitted papers are expected to focus on the conference topic and should be formatted and presented according to the Journal of Borderland Studies Instructions for Authors. Submissions should be no more than 10,000 words, inclusive of abstract, tables, references, and endnotes.
Abstracts will be evaluated on criteria including, but not limited to, the following:
– Potential impact or contribution of the research to the field of border studies
– The originality of the research question, topical area, and methodology
– Clarity of the argument and writing
– Relevance to the conference theme
– Adherence to the JBS rules for Authors
To submit your application, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the following:
- Your paper (in PDF or Word document)
- Your name and affiliation
- The category to which you are submitting as the subject line of your email
Amount of the awards:
Best Undergraduate Student Paper: $ 275
Best Graduate Student Paper: $ 375
Best Paper: $ 500
The deadline to submit papers is January 31, 2024.
We will announce and recognize the winners of the best paper categories at the conference in April 2024 in San Antonio.
Until then, we look forward to your submissions!
ABS Annual Conference Support Grant 2024
The Association for Borderlands Studies (ABS) invites applications for support to attend the ABS Annual Conference in San Antonio, Texas, April 3 through April 6, 2024. The ABS will offer a limited number of grants (approximately US$250 to 500, depending on needs) to students (prior to receiving a PhD) and early career scholars without permanent positions (such as those employed on temporary contracts as post-docs / teaching fellows/research assistants). These awards are open regardless of country of residence, but applications from scholars based in non-OECD countries will have priority.
- ▪ Enrolled in a graduate program (or ABD), or early career scholar employed on a temporary research or teaching contract.
▪ Member of the ABS before the application deadline.
▪ Registered and paid the WSSA Conference Fee before the application deadline.
▪ The applicant should be committed to traveling to San Antonio to present their paper in person.
▪ Where papers have multiple authors, only one award per paper will be granted.
Applications must include the following items as a single document:
1. Application form (see attached)
2. Extended abstract (800 to 1,000 words) summarizing the research to be presented at the ABS Annual Conference in San Antonio, 2024. Abstracts will be evaluated on criteria including but not limited to the following:
- ● Potential impact or contribution of the research to the field of border studies
● The originality of the research question, topical area, and methodology
● Clarity of the argument and writing
● Adherence to application guidelines – applications will not be considered unless all relevant sections are completed
● Relevance to the conference theme
Application materials may be in English or Spanish.
Submissions can be made starting from November 2023 until January 22, 2024.
All applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than January 15, 2024. A selection committee, composed of ABS Board Members, will review all applications and make a recommendation to the ABS Conference Chair. Awardees will be notified by January 31, 2024. Successful candidates will be contacted and credited either through an electronic transfer or on-site upon arrival at the conference.
Please save the file for your application as “YourLastName_ABS SanAntonio_2024_Travel” and send it as a PDF file.
The email subject line should indicate “ABS 2024 Travel Grant Application”.